A Sport for a Lifetime

Some of my earliest memories are of fishing, so I was probably around 3 years old when I had my first fishing experience. With some of the most basic kinds of fishing, all you really need is the ability to sit or stand and hold a pole. A long as I had a rod that was light enough I was only limited to how far off my parents felt comfortable letting me go.

Now in my 30's, I don't have too many limitations to where I fish. Because of my youth I feel an obligation to fish as many of the out of the way places I can while I still have the legs to get me there. One of the only limitations I have on me at the moment is budgetary.

But even in my thirties, I've noticed a change in how I fish. I'm not jumping from rock to rock like I did in my twenties. I'm not wading across rivers with reckless abandonment. Falling seems to hurt more and I don't heal quite as quickly as I use to, so I'm more careful with how I wade or on my hike down to the river.

I know there will come a day when I'm not very mobile, a day when I pick rivers based on easy access and the presence of bathrooms. The day when I have to pay someone to row me down the river and to tie my flies on will one day be upon me. But when that time comes, I will migrate to the other facets that comprise fly fishing.

Luckily so much of fishing can be done at home or at the camp site. I have a lot of great fishing memories that took place around a camp fire. We talked for hours about past fishing experiences, drank beer, and just enjoyed hanging out under the stars.

Other times I'd head over to a friend's house and we'd sit at the kitchen table and tie flies. Talking about all the trips we'd take and thinking about all the fish we'd hopefully get into with these flies.

There will be a time when I'm spending more time teaching what I've learned from a lifetime of experience, a time when I spend more time hanging out with friends and talking about rivers we've been to or fish we've caught. As much as I like being able to fish difficult out of the way places, I know there is just as much fun in the later stages of fly fishing.

Richard Templeton

Check out our affordable selection of switch rod combo sets, fly reels, and line!

http://www.jsrods.com
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Richard_Templeton

No comments:

Post a Comment